Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Doors that don't jam.

I realize this is early for you, Hal, but I have class this morning and work tonight and this is my only chance to call otherwise.

So what’s your issue, Brody? Do you even have an issue?

Well, our door is broken. It has been for the last week or so.

What’s wrong with it? I installed that door myself.

It gets jammed.

No it doesn’t.

I’m sorry?

Your door does not jam. It can’t. I’m the one who put it in.

I understand that, Hal, but it really, truly does. We’ve tried greasing the hinges and checked it time and again - nothing seems to help.

Well, of course not. You’re aiding a nonexistent ailment. Do you know anything about carpentry?

All I know is that my door jams.

All right, look. When a door jams, typically something isn’t lined up right, which could be caused by a multitude of things. Most commonly, the frame is too narrow and needs to be trimmed or tapered or filed own, what have you, in order for the door to shut properly. Otherwise, you’ve got a badly lined up door scraping against the top of the door frame, making it difficult to open and close the door, et cetera.

Okay.

So do you have a better understanding of the problem at hand?

I do.

Good.

So will you fix our door?

What’s wrong with it?

It jams.

No it doesn’t. I installed it.

Fine. It’s time for me to go to class. I’m sorry I bothered you, Hal.

Next time, don’t call so early unless there’s a problem.

Okay.

By the way, you should probably let your roommate know that he has yet to pay his rent this month.

He hasn’t paid?

No, and if I don’t get it by Wednesday, tomorrow, I’m charging him a late fee.

I’ll tell him.

Good.

Bye, Hal.

Have a good day.


Word Count: 2,500

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home