Saturday, November 06, 2004

Jim, again.

The door is still busted, Brody-man.

Yeah… I called Hal this morning.

And what'd "Grumps" have to say?

Not a lot.

Did you tell him our door was broken?

Of course I did, but he refused to believe me.

Isn't he the one who put the door in?

Yeah and that's exactly why he wouldn't listen to me.

What is wrong with that guy? Doesn't he care about the people who live in his complex? We pay him every month to live here, and what do we get in return? A busted door, a sink that won't drain, and a broken heater. The lousy bastard… Maybe I should have been the one to call him.

I'm not sure about that. He says you still owe rent this month.

Yeah, I know I do…

He said you need to pay by Wednesday or he's adding some "late fee" or something.

Alright, fine.

Why haven't you paid it yet?

Laziness.

Prime reason.

Shut up, man. I can take care of myself.

Okay.

So how was work?

It was okay.

Does anything interesting ever happen on a Tuesday night?

We were surprisingly busy, but other than that… Not really.

You work in one of the most popular restaurants in downtown and you never have any stories to tell.

I'm not a storyteller, Jim.

Yeah, but if you just told one every now and then, I bet you’d have a much better social life.

Why do you care so much about my social life?

It just doesn't seem right.

What doesn't?

Your life and the way you live it! You go to a prestige school where there are tons of parties and gorgeous women. You work in a very popular place to dine and hang out. You're not half-bad looking. If I didn't know you and saw you walking down the street, it might cross my mind that you might be a pretty popular guy.

Do you always think things about random people you see on the streets?

I keep myself entertained.

As much as you don't think so, I strive to live my life differently than everybody else on the planet, and that includes not being the social butterfly you wish I could be.

What is so wrong with being a social butterfly?

What is so wrong with not being a social butterfly?

Don't you want people to notice you?

No.

No?

No.

You're full of it. I bet you do.

I don't want to be noticed. I don't like standing out.

You make me so sad. The few times we've gone out to the bars, I've seen chicks glancing your way and you don't even realize it. You could be getting so much action, but you take it all for granted.

So you're saying you're jealous?

I'm not jealous!

So what then? I don't pay attention to that type of stuff. I don't go to bars to pick up girls. I've never picked up a girl in my life. I've never found that enticing.

Enticing? You don't find hot chicks at bars enticing? What kind of sick man are you?

Apparently, very sick.

I don't know why we keep arguing about this, man. If you would just realize that I'm right…

You keep bringing it up, Jim. If you would just realize that I like the way I am and don't see anything wrong with the way I live my life, then you could live your own life and feel a lot more fulfilled.

I don't think I'll be fulfilled until I see some changes happen to you.

Well, you're not going to be the one changing me.

I'm going to sure as hell try!

Go ahead, but while you're trying, make sure you pay rent sometime this week.

You jerk.

I know.

Are you going to sleep already?

Yeah, I'm tired.

Fine.

Night, Jim.

Night.


Word Count: 4,934

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home